Sunday, May 12, 2019

Making A Kitchen Colandar Planter




I have two colanders, well three, two vintage and one new. I've wanted to create a planter from these items for the longest time, but unfortunately found instructions on how too few and far between. I also want to avoid having to drill through metal to hang the planters.

First I wanted to know if just stringing twine through the two handles was enough to balance the colandar so it didn't tip. It is enough, below are my tips.

Kitchen Colander Planter Supplies 

  • one colander with two handles to string twine through
  • baby diaper
  • Coir plant cup or just use (all of leftover Coir pulled from an old Coir liner for whole bottom)
  • left over coir from another planter
  • ruler to measure twine length for hanging
  • Scissors to cut twine

Because of all the holes in a colander, I worried that water would drain out too fast, so I opted to cut a baby diaper into a circle as the diaper contains a gel to hold moisture in. To cut the diaper into a circle I followed these basic instructions, mind you a diaper is puffy but this still worked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42So4AjsRaE


I opted to use a Coir-(pronounced "Coyer") planter cup that I cut on both sides to spread out on bottom of colander.  ( Coir is the fibrous material found between the hard, internal shell and the outer coat of a coconut); Then I pulled out Coir from last year's hanging plant and tucked in between the gaps, some Coir liners become loose over time and easier to minipulate. I find Coir liners ungainly and stiff if I just put them in a hanging planter, they never seem to be the right size and slip around, so I highly recommend engineering the size yourself.

Place the Coir above the baby diaper circle  add some peastone for weight to keep Coir in place, and then add potting soil-mind you not Topsoil as potting soil offers more nutrients, and then plunk the plant in.

Measure out the length of the twine you will need, and please note, I wish I had not cut too separate pieces for each handle then knoted the twine on top, why? because the twine has to rest on either side of knot when hung and thus creates a tipped colandar, instead loop through one handle then the other and tie to secure in second handle. With no knot on top you have a well balanced planter.

And there you have it! Please share with me your colander basket hangers, I'd love to see!

2 comments:

  1. Potting soil also has either vermiculite or perlite mixed in to prevent compation of soil and some also contains water storing gel bits! Great tutorial Suzanne!

    ReplyDelete