Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Another #Inktober2016 Sketch

I haven't been following Jake Parker's prompts for #Inktober2016 lately. Prompts can definitely help one to stretch their drawing skills, but at other times, the theme just doesn't jive with me. So I'm now working on sketches straight from my head. My inktober sketches are quick, I often leave the pencil marks underneath, and then post to Instagram. I'm selecting this way of working rapidly to keep myself from mentally criticizing my initial drawing attempts, to loosen up and allow myself to just do and not overthink. This is helpful to me as it allows me to explore more things to sketch without fear of turning out something really lame. The result may indeed be clumsy, but as I continue on this path, my hand/eye coordination will strengthen. I plan to continue along this path of making myself sketch with abandon rather than sticking with something more comfortable to draw.
So in the end it's a happy medium, staying the course continuing to strengthen my personal style, but breaking out and sketching something new to increase my visual vocabulary.

As far as visual vocabulary goes, I've noticed there are illustrators who stick with the same theme, this isn't a bad thing, as they're specializing, but when you see one or more illustrators drawing the same things over and over, one can get lost in the crowd. My dream is to continue to explore new things to draw without feeling that initial cringe of my hyper-critical-inner-voice, (the one that holds every creative back) and to continue to do this until I feel comfortable, all the while keeping the sketch consistent with my style.

To view what other artists are posting for the #Inktober2016 Challenge on Instagram, click here:
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/inktober2016/?hl=en



No comments:

Post a Comment