Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Day 49 #100DayProject Self-Challenge-Adding more to the Plate Makes Me Forgetful

My #100DayProject
 



Perform one simple task a day to assist me in becoming more creatively productive and consistent in my studio. All tasks can be followed with a reward to encourage consistency.
 


ADD Doesn't Mean you're Stupid, it Means your Mind is Overloaded

Due to working for a community project I and a neighbor started up, I've added more work to my plate. One thing I've observed during this time is when I take on another project, one that requires working with others, and assimilating new information, I get more forgetful. First I panic and think something's really wrong with me, then I realize this happens when my workload is increased, I get scattered until I mentally adjust to the new influx of information.

Back when I was in school, I actually believed my mind could only contain a certain amount of information in a learning environment, why? Because I thought I wasn't that bright. Although there were many instances where I realized I knew more than someone whom I assumed was smarter than I. I put everyone on the smarter than Suzanne pedestal, this was because back then, ADD hadn't been discovered as a legitimate learning disorder. I didn't understand why I could be so forgetful, why I had trouble retrieving information from an article I just read. ADD wasn't acknowledged then, if you were forgetful, you were stupid or irresponsible. For me, it meant designating me into "C" groups until I worked my way out of them into B groups and even got invited into an advance history class in high school, I declined as I didn't think I would do well in it. I constantly protected this invisible learning disorder  because, again, I thought I wasn't very smart. ADD means you're not stupid, in fact, in my last job working in an elementary school, I learned that intelligence and ADD can sometimes go hand-in-hand. Wow, imagine that! I often wonder how much easier my life would've been if I'd been born 25 years later. . .

My Small Task for the Day

My small task for the day was two-fold, due to current POTUS, I find I'm signing more petitions, and emailing my representatives on a regular basis. The social cause emails were clogging my two work-related email addresses for two separate ETSY shops. I finally created a separate email address for signing petitions, and contacting congress. I also unsubscribed from a lot of online garden catalogs. A shorter influx of emails helps me to become less distracted. Secondly I made time to listen to some small business webinars that had stacked up in my email boxes.

©www.smirkinggoddess.com
My Reward for Tasks Completed

My Reward for the day was planting a purple Spiderwort next to our mustard colored house and a few in the back garden area I'm creating. Adding beauty and order in our yard is profoundly calming for me and my nervous but active mind. So glad our home is situated in an area where we don't have deer visitors.

My name is Suzanne Urban I am an artist and gag writer. I sell my work here on ETSY: SmirkingGoddess and my art here: SuzanneUrbanArt


No comments:

Post a Comment